Monday, January 11, 2010

Eating Your Way Healthy....Is it possible?

1 Timothy 4:8 "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."

This is a GREAT verse to memorize when trying to get healthier. For me, remembering that while physical training is some valuable, Godliness has value in all things, and it holds promise for this present life and the life still to come. That my friends, is GREAT news!!!

We can get very caught up in making sure that our physical bodies are cared for and looking their best, that our Spiritual bodies really take a beating. They look all beat down and malnourished, while our physical bodies are looking really strong and fit. God has really been emphasizing this in my own life. It is so very important that I feed and nourish my Spiritual body as well, and exercise it. Stretch it. Really dig in to what I believe and does it line up with the Word, or have I gotten something off in my thinking at some point that led to a wrong assumption that led to untruth. This is something that I am examining in my life. Not because of a particular incident, just in my reading I've been asking God to do a work in me. And He is. And He will do the same for you. Is it uncomfortable? Of course, but God wants us OUT of our comfort zones. Yikes!!! Yep its true!! So I am learning to somewhat at least, embrace my new uncomfortable spot, because He is teaching me and growing in me as I follow Him.

____________________________
So today I posed to you the question in the title:
Eating your way healthy...is it possible?

So what says you?

I say at least in part. To live a truly healthy and well life is a balance of many things. But eating is one of those things that you must take a look at when starting to live a healthier life.

For me, eating is easier than exercise. I find that I am a much more disciplined person in the area of eating, just ask my sis. We have this conversation a lot, because she is the opposite. She is so much more disciplined in the area of exercise than I am.

This week, let's focus on eating.

Today let's tackle breakfast. There are a lot of people who just plain don't like to eat breakfast, my son being one of them. I try to get him to eat breakfast, but he says it hurts his stomach. It used to hurt mine to, but it has been one of the best ways for me to keep a steady tummy all day. Other wise I'm hungry and cranky and way over eat later in the day, if I do not eat breakfast.

A good rule of thumb for breakfast, and really for every meal, is to eat a complex carbohydrate and protein at each meal. The two work in tandem to keep you feeling full and help your body to work at optimum levels. So if you don't generally eat, or eat a sugar laden cereal with little to no nutritional value, let me give you a few suggestions.

Breakfast #1:

3 egg-whites whisked with a little milk (no more than a tablespoon) ~~ pour into a Pam sprayed pan, (use butter flavored if you like =) ~~ add veggies, onions, green or red peppers (or both =), mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook stirring until done, or you can make it more like an omelet if you like, whisking the eggs and milk until light and fluffy and then pouring into pan and cooking a minute or so and then adding veggies. And then do the whole omelet, half-moon flip and voila ~~ omelet ~~ you can even add a slice of low-fat cheese if you like.
Eat that with a whole-grain piece of toast ~~ this is a yummy well-balanced breakfast.

Breakfast #2

Or if that is just too much work, which it is for me, try a little Bob's Five Grain. It is so delish and only 120 calories a serving. It cooks in the micro in 3 minutes. You then can add a little honey for sweetness and then blueberries and half a banana ~~ delish ~~ one of my fav's and it sticks with me. I also add about a little almond butter sometimes too, to up the protein value. Just like about 2 teaspoons is good up to a tablespoon. And I also add about 1/4 cup of soy or almond milk (you can use skim milk if you like) and then reheat. Delish.

Breakfast #3
This is my breakfast of choice a lot.
1 piece of Ezekial Bread spread with 1 tablespoon of almond butter and 1 teaspoon agave nectar (you can use honey) and a pear. It is so delish. This is about 260 calories of delicious yumminess. It is light, but sticks with me too. Love it!!

So there are just a few choices, but there are so many more out there. The Kashi cereals I've found for the most part to be healthy and delicious. There are many options out there, the important thing is that you opt =) for breakfast. Find one that works for you. Remember changes take time, so if your stomach hurts when you eat breakfast, so you usually don't eat breakfast, start slow. Start with a piece of whole grain toast or a piece of fruit and work up from there. For me, it took a little while, but now I am a full-fledged breakfast eater!! And you can be too!!!

Hope you have a beautiful day,

Healthfully Yours,
Dawn

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

I'm opposite - exercise is MUCH easier then eating...ugh!

But thank you for the Breakfast ideas... thats where I struggle!

Jacquie said...

I LOVE me some breakfast!! I didn't use to eat breakfast, but I do now. Although, I can't eat as soon as I get up... I need to wait an hour or two.

I agree with your sister, excercise is the MUCH easier discipline!

2cats said...

I usually am just not hungry in the morning. I don't get hungry until lunch time. But I will try to eat breakfast. I prefer to eat oatmeal though. I just use quick cooking oats and put them in the microwave. I add raisins at that time too. I use a dad of brown sugar and no milk. Love that!

prashant said...

I LOVE Panera Bread and wish we would get one here!!!

Work from home India