Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A New Thought on an Old Problem...

Lunch ~~ sometimes it is a trap. I know that many of you work outside the home and the temptation to run through the drive-thru is always there. Because let's face it, with dollar menus and even dollar and below menus, like Taco Bell, you can eat out cheap; but at what cost?

Just because something is within your budget doesn't mean it is the best choice. One of the themes of my life last year was "God's Best". I would feel like if I was getting ready to do something, I'd hear God whisper to my heart, "Is that My best?" Best. The word kept coming up. Somethings are not bad, but is it the best, God's best for your life? These are great questions to ask yourself especially in the area of exercise and eating right. When it comes to health and wellness it is hugely important to ask yourself if this is the right choice, the best choice, God's best choice for my life. Yes, even if it is at lunch. What we put into our bodies is so important. It is the fuel that makes them go. So putting in the Best things in is always better.

So back to lunch:

Oh wait let's back up to breakfast just a minute. Just wanted to let you know that I'll be posting some recipes on my recipe blog sometime this week. I'll link you there as soon as I have them up and then you can follow the labels on the side, breakfast, lunch etc.

Okay back to lunch:

I don't eat out much at lunch, but if I'm out and about and do eat out (which I used to do A LOT) I suggest something like Panera Bread (yes you can call ahead and get take out, no drive-thru but just think you get a few extra steps in =) and I like to order off of the You-Pick-Two menu. My fav is 1/2 Mediterranean Veggie and 1/2 Cafe Salad with the dressing that comes with the Apple Fuji Salad. I went to their web site and figured it up and it is 380 calories, 11 grams fat. Not too terrible for eating out. So that's one idea. Their website is great. You can go on their site and build your own meal and know exactly what you're getting when you get there. GREAT!!!

Another option is to pack your own. But there again you can fall into the convenience trap, what with all the packaged lunch foods they have now.

I have never been a big chip eater. I mean I've ate a lot of chips, it's just never been my bad food of choice. If I'm gonna eat something not so good for me, I'd just as soon have a nice big oatmeal raisin cookie or chocolate chip brownie bar. Yep I'm a sweets girl (more on that in another post :o). But I did used to like some crunch with my lunch =) So now I get that crunch with baby carrots. It makes me so happy to get a nice serving of baby carrots (about 10-15 or so) and eat those instead of chips. Yummy. I know, they are not salty. But it is the little changes that you make in the details of your diet that make the biggest impact. This is one of those changes that take you from 110 calories (for Baked Lay's or Pretzels, more for regular chips) to 35 calories for carrots. That is a BIG difference, and over time that really adds up.

Now for what I do for lunch: A lunch staple for me is tofu and veggies. Now I know ya'll are saying what tofu blech? But you could substitute a nice lean chicken breast with veggies. And sometimes I'll have a sandwich on Ezekiel Bread. If you don't know about this oh-so-good for you bread, you should. You really should!!! It is just as it sounds, out of the Bible, Ezekiel. It is sprouted bread and is so very good for you. It is hearty at 80 calories a slice, and it sticks with you. So if I make a sandwich for lunch, I usually take one slice and have an open face or cut it in two and have a half a sandwich with my tofu and veggies. I'll be talking more about tofu on my recipe blog. And again I'll let you know when I have those posted.

Another option of course is a nice healthy salad. You can use different greens like Romaine and Leafy lettuce or get a packaged lettuce with different varieties and then just add all your favorite veggies. I packed my sweet hubby a veggie salad for lunch today with spinach, romaine, carrots, green peppers, button mushrooms, bacon (center cut, grease drained =) cheese (Italian blend) and sunflower seeds. It is a nice blend of veggies but with some protein.

So let me know what you do for lunch. I'm really enjoying hearing what ya'll do. I'm getting some good suggestions.

I'd like to leave you with another of my favorite verses ~~ LOVE YOU!!!

Ephesians 3:16-19 (New International Version)

"16I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."


Healthfully Yours,
Dawn

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Perfect timing - I'm running out for lunch right now! :)

I LOVE Panara Bread...

But have to ask - I hear you talk about the Ezekiel bread. Is it something you can get at ANY grocery? It is in a loaf? sliced? I'm totally interested

Heather said...

You know what's crazy?!?! I have been doing SO GOOD and today Connor wanted a Happy Meal for lunch (It was his reward for getting his flu shot) and I totally caved into my craving and got a burger and fries! BLECH! I love it but do not love it afterwards!! Tomorrow--back to my salad at home for lunch!!! Isn't sin just like this example? It sounds so good and seems fine and then afterwards you just wish you hadn't eaten/done that! Thanks for the encouragement!

P.S. I LOVE Panera Bread and wish we would get one here!!!

2cats said...

I have never been to Panera Bread. The closest is about 100 miles away. Too far for a quick lunch out.
Whenever I am out for lunch I have a salad. I love salads of any kind. But especially one I don't make myself.
Eating lunch at home is a challenge. It is something I don't usually do. Like breakfast. Normally I snack at something.

prashant said...

I'm running out for lunch right now!

Work from home India